7.21.2011

Day Seventeen: the 30-day writing challenge

I'm craving for jellyfish. It's God's gift to the bored palate. At first look it isn't at all appetizing. Cut into 3-inch long strips the width like half a finger cut lengthwise with a thickness akin to a wooden ruler, the dish is usually an appetizer to a Chinese lauriat. Jellyfish is translucent has a rubbery texture and irregularly-shaped flaps jutting out from its length. It reminds me of bacteria under the microscope, or a weird sea plant swaying in the water, or a flat kind of worm. But I like it. I like that it's soft but offers some kind of resistance. Like you're sinking your teeth into some kind of ligament, only springier. The dish smells sour as it is pickled with a hint of something else. But it's not overpowering like kimchi and it has a sweetness to balance the acidity off. I like jellyfish side by side with century egg but between the two, I'd take jellyfish any time.

No comments: