7.22.2011

Day Eighteen: the 30-day writing challenge

I never knew a broken camera can be so depressing. Emmet, my four and a half year old dslr is in the service center. It may have ran out of actuation counts. Like the automobile, a camera has mileage. It will take me a lot of cash to get it a new shutter assembly but all I can do is scrounge up enough for that. I can't afford a brand new cam for now.

I'm using a borrowed Nikon and while I am thankful that a friend is kind to lend a camera to me, I get so frustrated using it because I can't control it. For one, it's a Nikon whose system I am not too familiar with. Second, it's an old model which means it doesn't have high ISO capability like the newer Nikon models. My white balance is all out of whack. It back focuses. There is a two-second lag every after click which is way too long for sports photography. Sometimes, when there's high speed action, I shoot 3 frames per second. With the Nikon, I just can't do that. I've been trying to be cool with all these for weeks, to never whine about the situation. I convince myself that it's okay, let's make do, I can adjust. I recite the proverbial wala sa pana, nasa indian. But now, I admit it's not working.

My shots are acceptable but I am not comfortable watermarking my name on something acceptable. And it's not that I want expensive gear to keep up with the fad. I just want a gear that works. That's it, period. One of the things I hate the most is when I can't communicate well or get a point across whether I'm speaking or writing. This is no different. Right now, I am just too pissed I can't keep chill any longer. And Emmet will be at the service center for another two weeks. Meanwhile, my photos are on a consistent quality decline. I'm not coming through. I feel so paralyzed.

No comments: