- While Majen was working back at Kathy's house, I went to the city and headed towards Arab Street and Haji Lane. On the way I saw the Parksquare View tower and it reminded me of Ayn Rand and 1930's New York. I liked the gloominess of it. i also saw two glass buildings, I forget what they are called. Because they are shaped like toblerone bars made to stand, they look tall thin sheets of glass at an angle.
- Arab street and Ha Ji Lane are like a bigger Cubao X arranged around a Mosque. Rounded up the shops but entered just one which says "Used Books". I found interesting ones inside as well as Vinyl and LP discs of artists I would listen to. The person manning the shop had dreads past the waist. He was a welcome sight amidst all these properness. I also bought durian cake from a little shop where people lined up. Figured the cake was good just by that and the heavenly smell. Let's see when I get back to Manila.
- My real agenda coming here (aside from IKEA, that is) was the Singapore International Photo Festival. 8 shows, hundreds of photographs in different locations in the Bras Basah district! I was only able to go to 6 and i was reeling after. Also walking around the area, which is composed of Museums, Galleries, Art Schools, a mix of big and small contemporary buildings, although I truly enjoyed it, can make even a street walker like me ache in the calves. My other stop was the 2902 Gallery in the Old School, a design institute which was on top of Mount Sophia. It's just a hill in Philippine standards, but still. Good thing I asked the girl in the gallery how to get to the National Museum of Singapore the shortest way which is a long flight of stairs through an alley, much like the stairs in Ateneo going to Barangka but longer and more picturesque. I got to the National Museum 7:15 just 15 minutes shy of the free international screening of Tiong Bahru: Civic Life, a 20-minute film about a slice of Singaporean life in a hawker center. Watching it and the 3-minute films that came before it gave me a better sense of space-self connection in the Singaporean weltanshauung.
- Sigh, I really hope we have something like the SIPF in the Philippines also. I really do. It would be really exciting!
- As if the day wasn't giddily overwhelming yet, I met up with Majen and my cousin Seneca for dinner at Little India. I love the spiciness of Indian food. Soaked up the hustle and bustle of Mustafa Center and bought some souvenirs and made a long-overdue perfume purchase.
- Singapore does not encourage people in the streets late at night. At 11:50 p.m. we got left behind by our train (Red Line) and caught a circle line train (Yellow Line) to go to the Kembangan station (Green Line) which entailed lots of running. Hahaha. Majen and I also got left by the last bus and so we walked to Kathy's condo which was okay considering we were laughing like crazy with our take-away iced lemon tea from the hawker center.
- After that, I had to make a last-minute IT for Melaka for the next day. And as anyone would guess, Melaka would not push through.
Las Turistas Tontas Status Log #5
- Humidity, Majen's monthly period, my body ache from yesterday's adventure, cash just enough as in sagad to the cents for up to Saturday, Majen not so much interested in heritage architecture and walking compared to me--all led to our decision not to go and just squeeze Singapore of its juices.
- Went to Bugis Street market just to see what the ruckus was about and ate lunch there. Brought Majen to Arab Street and just lolled around in the humid heat. Went into the shops this time and struck a little convo with the Chinese Singporean Guy the Define Happiness Sunglass Shop about Ray Bans. Tried bandung (rose) juice. Majen did not like it. She said it was like drinking perfume.
- Was home early around 7:30. Slept like a log after.
No comments:
Post a Comment