Everytime the topic of 90's flicks comes up, I always ask if anyone had seen 'kicking and screaming.' I remember liking it when i watched it sometime between '95 - '97. But nobody knew of the movie. I couldn't even find it in the internet because all I could remember was the title, and this main character named Grover. Will Ferrell's comedy of the same title was far more popular and search attempts garnered only this result. After more that ten years of failing to convince people that the movie does exists, I resigned myself to the fact that I prolly really just conjured it in my mind.
That was before a few weeks ago. Finally, someone uploaded a clip on youtube. Yay! Watching the clips again made me realize how that movie had been an influence both in my wanting to go to Prague and my toting a notepad anywhere I went. Oh, and it also added to the many literature I read about underachieving--the trying not to try too hard. I like Eric Stoltz' character--the perennial student, the Peter Pan of this generation, someone who adamantly refuses to grow up. See this is why writers, artists and filmmakers should be more careful about their craft. They don't know how much their works can mess people up. Why, I'd been in post-college ennui a decade ago, way before I even entered college! How messed up is that? Hahaha.
Watch the trailer (which doesn't give justice to the movie) here, some uppity intellectual but nonetheless funny excrement here. And one of the simplest and most important scenes I posted below:
No comments:
Post a Comment