6.13.2007

little miss sunshine


me, you
square peg, round hole

you, me
air swooshes through

something is amiss

okay... enough of that. at least this fim made me happy tonight.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

This is my favorite part of the film. Photography-wise it's just right. The way the photo shows depth and scale. It tells the story: how Dwayne is so far removed from his family, how he is untouchable, how he is willing to turn his back from all of then. Despite his Nietzche-induced brain, he realizes he can't escape familial ties and no one rarely does. Dramatically, this is where I cried. It's a turning point. Dwayne realizes he is color blind and thus can't join the air force, a dream he has been harboring for a long time. It's the reason he has taken a 9-monthlong vow of silence. At the knowledge that all his efforts have been for nothing, he breaks down, makes incomprehensible sounds and, upon getting off the VW family bus, screams out and expletive -- his first spoken word in the film.

I like this part also because Dwayne reminds me so much of my brother Paul. I think that if he had a goal like Dwayne has in the movie, he'd also commit to a vow of silence. He rarely even speaks nowadays not ever to my mom or dad. Sometimes he does to me but after a while, the magic is gone. I could not, for the life of me, understand his indifference at the world at large. I'm the eldest, he's youngest. Eight years apart is enough for me to see him grow up. We held hands while we slept when he was still a baby. We still do sometimes, when I am in a playful mood. He pulls away now of course. It's kinda embarassing for you big sister to keep pestering you with sweet nothings. Like little miss sunshine, I do not talk, I just lean my head on his shoulder and hope, like Dwayne, he says "I'm okay now."

No comments: