11.17.2004

dreaming of dreamers

What is it with me and dreamers? I always find myself, though not necessarily in a romantic way, attracted to people who are perennially preoccupied with something. These people are driven and intense. Often, they are masters of their own craft, and mysteriously so hard to reach (in short, autistic)! I find myself foolishly wishing to be able to pry open their world, to be shared their thoughts and feelings. And I always end up disappointed. For my own good, this preoccupation has got to stop.

Lately, another man who caught my admiration is Bob Geldof, the musician who in 1984 brought together starts like Phil Collins, WHAM, Sting, U2, david Bowie and a lot others to form Band Aid. This all-star group recorded an album with the song Do they know it’s Christmas and set up a huge concert as a fund-raising project for the famine-stricken people of Somalia. Then I realize that Geldof also fits my description of a dreamer. His passion tinged with this palpable rage, and his dogged pursuit of raising funds, awareness, and political action for the victims of Somalia excited me utterly that I was glued in front of the TV for two hours watching BBC in which the story of Somalia was featured. The sense of excitement stayed long after but it was tempered by this feeling of nostalgic wishing—-wishing there would be more people like Geldof, wishing there would be someone like him where I am.


Bob Geldof in his earlier years looking rather pensive

Working with UNICEF in Ethiopia
Bob Geldof today

This year, Geldof brought together new pop artists like Jamelia, Sugababes, Robbie Willliams, David Bedingfield, Dido, Blur's Damon Albarn, and others to form Band Aid 20. Although he has aged, the passion and intensity is still there. I sure hope Band Aid 20 will be as successful if not more so than the original one.

No comments: