
I'm not going to post any deep birthday reflections coz i really don't have that much. Today, I turned 24 and it has been the biggest non-event of the year. When I woke up I more or less decided I was going to have a crappy day. My gameplan was to be obnoxious to anyone who wishes me well. There's just something so disconcerting about being the most broke in your whole lifetime on your 24th birthday. I used to think that 24 is such an momentous age in one's life. When I was young, I imagined myself to be hip, successful and living the life at age twenty-four. For me, this age is the best age anyone can be in. Not 18, not 25, but 24 signals the real beginning of life. But no, here I am living the estudyante lifestyle as I have been doing in the last seven years. I don't feel old at all. In fact, I feel that I'm so young it's objectively scary.
My gameplan failed. People were so enthusiastic and giddy about today it was infectious. Generally, happy people creep me out. But I think I needed happy people to lend sanity to today. And although I was in no capacity to treat those that I love and appreciate(my horoscope even said so: Diana Jean's Daily Virgo Forecast: It's not wise to share your resources today -- you don't have enough to go around.), I still found ways not to sweat it and just smile. People understood anyway and yes, they will be keeping tabs coz I promised I'll treat them with kegs of beer once I win the lotto.
Besides, this is another reason to smile today. Doug Savage, my favorite cartoonist, greeted me on his Savage Chickens sticky notes cartoon. Yay!!!

At first I thought it wasn't me but when I checked last year's birthday cartoon, I realized I announced it was my day that time. This year Doug remembered. It's actually very exciting. I love Savage Chickens. Can't not have my daily dose of Doug's sarcastic, cynical and absurd wit.
My only wish for this year (aside from one good set of knives, a Northface audrey jacket in mustard, a Lowepro Compu Daypack, prime lens and a good cheap Rangefinder...haha, kidding!) is that I live to be more compassionate, that I reach out sincerely to others more often, that I be braver, more optimistic and kinder, that I be more organized, productive and less of a procrastinator, that I be determined and more passionate about what I do. I heard mass today and I realize I miss my faith. I hope to be more desiring of God's love this year. How can I be passionate about everything else and not on Him? There has been something amiss this past year and I hope I can get back to knowing and loving God.
Thanks to all you people who have made living worthwhile. I truly appreciate you being in existence with me here, now.
2 comments:
belated happy birthday ate deej! =)
thanks ros!!! belated happy birthday din. (i think) hehe. salamat!
Post a Comment