Last tuesday, Manay and I accompanied applicants of the Landas ng Pag-Asa scholarship from Payatas to take their entrance exam at ERDA Tech in Pandacan,
The conditions of the people were so depressing. Shanties were so close to each other. It seems that the residents were mostly tambays, killing time watching trolleys pass by. There were a lot of kids playing around and even more adults just talking to each other or sharing gin bulag or tanduay. I was trying to capture some of this through my point and shoot but a companion said, "Ate, itago mo yan. Ang sama ng tingin sayo." All I got then were these shots and every one of them were "hail marys".
It's very disturbing to witness conditions like these, much less to live like this. It's ironic that people here live right smack at the physical center of the metro but live also at its social margins.
3.30.2007
One day, isang araw, ako'y nag-trolley, baw.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment