6.22.2005

adventures with the python master

I woke up this the morning, all groggy and still wanting to linger a bit more on my bed. But no, this is what I woke up to!


good morning sunshine!

Well, it was Majen actually who saw it first. She was hanging up some of her undies in our laundry area and was totally gobsmacked to find a huge slithery snake coiled up a foot away from her. So with all the ruckus she created screaming for her mother (ok, I probably would do the same thing if I were her...), I had to see what was going on. And true enough it was a snake, a huge python more like.

Good thing all six of us were still in the house. Toi had class so he had to go but I couldn't possibly leave until we got rid of the thing. Ate Oth texted her boss saying she'll be late so I also texted the situation to my boss and one of my officemates.


Me:
Hi alice, I'll be late 2day. Bka mag-SLP ng morning. Bglang may snake kc d2 sa bahay nmin. Mejo malaki cya. I'll find sum1 to get it muna.
Alice: Yikes, scary nman yn. Cge ingat n wg mkagat. U myt be the next valentina!

Me: Hi Tan, I'll be late 2day. Baka mag-SLP ng morning. Pakisulat nlng s board. Bglang may snake kc d2 sa bahay nmin. Malaki cya. I'll find sum1 to get it muna.
Tanya: Ok. Magpaka-darna ka nlng at lunukin mo ang bato mo.

I mean seriously. Don't they know this is a situation? To think they're in different rooms and they actually think alike. I mean, ok I'd probably say some similar things if this happened to either one of them too. We're not from the same office for nothing, But still!

We were watching the snake for a few minutes not knowing what to do. And then it came, an idea. I remember a long-haired guy in our neighborhood who had pet snakes. We must call him, and ask him to get rid of the snake for us. Or he can keep it. I mean, as a person who has pet snakes, he'll feel socially reponsible to help get a potentially dangerous snake out of a residence won't he? And we did buy ice cream from their store a couple of months back, didn't we? He'll probably do this out of good will or just to return a favor or something. He looked like he's a nice kind of guy.

So Ate Oth and Tin went to fetch him while I rushed into the shower and hoped that no teeny weeny snakes would come out of the drainage. The guy arrived just as I finished my bath. He looked kinda groggy himself, like he had gone straight off the bed and just tied his hair to a ponytail. I was only half-dressed and was peering out of the bathroom and trying to see what was happening. And then he comes from the backdoor with holding the snake like it was just a puppy. We called him because we thought that being someone with snakes, he probably had a hook to get it with and a mesh bag or something. But no, he was petting the hideous thing with his hands. He was explaining that his pet snake had been lost for two weeks but he wasn't sure if it was this one. He said it was a burmese python but it isn't dangerous. Looks like he's full, he observed. And then I saw the snake's belly with a big lump. I think of the kittens dawdling around our neighborhood and I grimace.

I mentioned that I also saw a guy a few houses away who had a pet snake and asked if he couldbe the owner and he said, "Ah si Jeff. Hindi siguro kasi mas maliit yung..." So naturally, being someone who had 15 male cousins, I'm kind adept at detecting icky green stuff. I super tried to supress a chuckle and I was poker faced and all that. No one else even noticed but the guy probably noticed he was saying things wrong. So he rephrased his statement saying, "Maliit yung ahas doon." But that's that. And...why am I still smiling?

After answering questions about snakes and letting Majen pet the snake, the guy left whithout us even asking his name. Everyone suggested a name for him like snake man or something but we ened up with Python Master (pronounced PIH-TON MASTAH which an oopmph!) Hahaha. Suits him. Ate Oth said he was talking someone over the cellphone while he was checking for familiar markings on the snake. We suspect that he was taking Parseltongue to the snake and used the cellphone as a ploy so we won't think he's some kind of wacko.


piton mastah in action. whoa!

After that some tanod and some tambays hovered over our gate because Majen's officemate from Pathways who was also from the village called for a tanod. The tambays said they saw PM pass by and that sayang, sana we just asked them to get the snake. They asked us if we knew how much that costs. Apparently, it costs a lot. Then Ate Oth remembered from her law classes that if a pet is lost, anyone can claim it after 20 days. Damn, we should've said yes when PM asked if we wanted to keep the thing. We'd sell it then divide the loot or something. But I doubt that too. If that snake had stayed, Majen would never agree to sell it. She's gotten quite fond of it, I'd say.

Hay. Interesting morning, don't you think?

No comments: